The City of Burton campus, which includes City Hall, the Police/Fire Administration Building, the Department of Public Works, and the Veteran's Memorial, is located on South Center Road at Manor Drive, between East Bristol Road and Maple Avenue. Also located in the area are the 67th District Court-Burton Division and the U.S. Post Office Southeast Annex.
Located in southeastern Genesee county, approximately 60 miles north of Detroit, Burton occupies an area of approximately 23.5 square miles. Originally organized as a township in 1856, the area was named after John Burton, a prominent local farmer. It had grown out of the Atherton Settlement founded in 1829. In 1971 township leaders made the decision to seek city status for the area. The township residents voted on May 16, 1972 to incorporate and the city was officially formed later that year.
Over the years the area gained population and changed from an agricultural community to a thriving suburban community. In 1829 only a handful of residents lived in the Atherton Settlement. According to the 2010 Census the City's population is now 29,999.
Three school districts, Bendle, Bentley and Atherton, are located entirely within the City of Burton. Four additional districts, Carman-Ainsworth, Davison, Kearsley and Grand Blanc border the City and are partially located within the City limits.
Recreational opportunities abound in Burton. The park system includes Kelly Lake Park, a 40 acre facility with a lake, nature trails, picnic pavilion, and a newly asphalted bike path. Settlement Park, a passive linear park along Thread Creak, boasts a relaxing opportunity to fish and picnic. For-Mar Nature Preserve and Arboretum, a 380 acre complex, features the DeWaters Education Center and the Corydon E. Foot Bird Collection. In addition to its parks, Burton is home to two 18-hole golf courses and a year-round indoor ice skating arena, Crystal Mountain.
On May 26, 1997 the City of Burton Veterans Memorial was dedicated to honor those who served in our country's military forces. The memorial has become a proud addition to the city and is the focal point of the city's Memorial Day celebration.