Department of Information Technology
Address: 4303 S. Center Rd. Burton, MI 48519
Phone: (810) 743-1500 EXT 1600
Email: [email protected]
Director of Information Technology
IT Services Technician
About the Department
The City of Burton's Department of Information Technology plays an integral role in City operations by providing comprehensive centralized IT services and technology infrastructure support, in the most cost-effective manner, and facilitating the achievement of the goals and objectives of each of the City's departments.
The Department of Information Technology provides support to 14 City divisions, and more than 100 City employees (assessors, treasurers, law enforcement, etc.). The Department of Information Technology is responsible for over 30 major applications consisting of more than 150 programs and provides systems support, maintenance, enhancements, and new development for all major systems applications.
The Internal Services function of the Department of Information Technology (DIT) is comprised of the following:
- Project Management Office (PMO)
- IT Service Center
- Training & Support
- Administrative Services
These functions support IT and the City in the services related to Project Management, Training and Customer Support. This includes the following:
- IT Annual Master Planning.
- Project Management support.
- Hands-on instruction and training, customized to the needs of City employees to empower them with skills in standard software products, providing the skills necessary to complete their tasks effectively and efficiently.
- IT Service Center Customer Support Services.
- IT Employee Training and Education.
- IT Department Communication Processes.
- IT Department Policies and Procedures and Personnel Administration.
The Application Services function of the Department of Information Technology (DIT) provides IT development services to all City departments. Our team is highly educated and has working experience in solution engineering, application design, development, testing and implementation for all areas of application development and systems implementation.
Our core expertise in development technologies creates significant "application value" while optimizing the cost of owning application infrastructure. The current application's portfolio is primarily focused on web-based development with a focus on anywhere, anytime, multi-device access which enables the creation of products and processes that support present and future developments as determined by the business needs.
The Technical Systems and Networking function of the Department of Information Technology (DIT) is comprised of the following:
- Database Administration
- Server Administration
- Network Services
- Technical Operations
- Workstation Services
- Telephone Communications
These functions support IT and the city's technological infrastructure and communication systems. This includes the following:
- City-wide network management, including monitoring, security, configuration, and troubleshooting activities.
- File, print, application, and mail server management, including security administration, operating system upgrade and maintenance, capacity planning, anti-virus scanning, and monitoring.
- Legacy application management.
- New technology and system research and development.
- Establish standard development platforms and methodologies, including such areas as mainframe and PC application development; database creation, design, and naming; application product selection; and standard software suites and applications.
- Administration of application databases and the associated database access software, including the security administration, performance tuning, database design, database review, and monitoring.
- Disaster recovery, data protection, and data recovery.
- Workstation, workstation software, workstation peripheral configuration, maintenance, delivery, and problem resolution.
- Hardware, software, supplies, equipment, and forms inventory management.
- Traditional telephone services, pager services, and cellular phone services.