The Code Enforcement Officers duties are to enforce the Chapter 157 of the Zoning Ordinance, Chapter 91 Health and Sanitation Nuisances, and Chapter 133.04 Sanitary Conditions of the City of Burton.
The Code Enforcement Officer has a right to enter your property to investigate any complaints received. He shall have a valid picture identification card on him and will be in a vehicle marked with the City of Burton Logo.
The ordinances are adopted by the City Council. If you wish to make a recommendation for an ordinance revision, or proposed new ordinance, please speak during audience participation at a City Council Meeting.
The City of Burton has always kept the policy of working on a complaint basis. Complainant shall remain anonymous, however we do state that a complaint has been made.
If you would like to make a complaint and have the exact address of the property you wish to complain about, please contact us by [email protected] or phone (810) 742-9230.
Please understand that there is a process complaints must go through:
- Order made for the Code Enforcement Officer.
- Officer gives valid complaint a ten-day notice.
- Officer will return after ten days,
- If violation(s) still exist the property owner could receive a ticket or the property could be cleaned up by the city with all costs being charged to the property owner.
- If all violations are corrected the Officer will close the complaint.
- If there is another valid complaint received within a twelve-month period a ten-day notice is not necessary and the property owner may receive a ticket or the property could be cleaned up with all costs being charged to the property owner.